22 November, 2006

Ghosts!?

There were instances in my life when I felt the inhuman powers (like ESPs, ghosts ...) exist in this world.

For the first time, I heard about ghost story in one vacation in my granny's house. He was constructing a new house in native village. I went there for summer vacation (as usual a big family get-together). One day night, we were sleeping in kayathu kattil (couch made of ropes) in garden outside the house. Some construction work was going on in the top floor. There were few construction workers continuing work on the night. One worker went to the kinnaru (well)to fetch water. The well was at end of the garden. While he was fetching water, his wandering eyes landed on some moving white object (may be ghost!) on the top of the building. He got scared to death on seeing that. As he was all alone in end of the garden, he started to run for cover. He could barely reach the place where my family was sleeping before collapsing down. Next day morning, my granny were out in investigation to bring him back to normal state and was curious to know what had happened.
That guy: "Aiya, madi mela naan peiya parthen, athu nalla vellaiya irunthathu. medhuva nandhu pochu, looks like calling me"
The moment he said he saw ghost in top of the building, everyone bursted out laughing. May be people decided to laugh out to bring him back to normal, we didn't disbelieve it fully.

I had spent lot of summer vacations in my native place. We (me and my cousins) would go there after school finals. In one such vacation, we were chatting in top floor. We were having nila soru (food in moonlight) with patti. It was a huge gang of children and patti kept us engaged by narrating interesting stories. The servant maid came up with a scary story in the mid. Hero of the story was ellai kadavul (god who guards the village border) like Aiyanar. The servant maid was staying with her daughter near our paddy field. One day night, her daughter woke up in midnight
That gal: "Amma, ennaku thanni thagama irukku. Naan poi thanni kudichitu varen ma"
"Mom,I want to have water"
Maid: "seri ma, ana pathu po....ore irruta irukku da"
"Ok dear. But be careful. It is dark inside"
Five minutes down the timeline, there was a mysterious silence and then a loud noise from kitchen. Maid got shocked, ran to the kitchen to see what had happened. Her daughter was lying down on the floor in almost unconscious state.
That gal: "Amma, vellai ore satham. Kollai gate-a thiraka ponne ma, yaro kannathala payangara adi vittutanga amma. Enna nadathuthane theriyulle". "I heard some noise in garden outside. As soon i opened the back entrance, someone slapped me hard. The blow was very powerful that I couldn't get up to see who did that".
The servant maid concluded the story with her guess "Aiyanar was travelling on that side then, He only slapped the girl to protect her from bad evils. I could see some white man on horse when I went inside the kitchen". May be it just a story, may be the girl is affected with some paranoia, but it was bad enough to get us a bad dreams then.

Later, when me and my cousin were chatting
My Cousin:" I don't care much for Ghost movies"
Me: "Appadiya??!" (with awe)
My cousin: "I can see Evil Dead movie in midnight"
Me: "Ohh man, lemme also give it a try. We will watch this weekend"
Yep, we indeed rented out Evil Dead movie on that weekend. There were no one in the house then. We chose to watch in night. I was bold enough to see first few scenes. Thats it. I run away from that room once the real scary scenes started. I haven't seen that movie till now. Not just that I still don't prefer seeing those ghost movies. Sick!


Read more!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Since my mother is a doc, I've heard autopsy and other accident stories and i have covered some complicated operations for here in handycam. nothings sick for me, indeed I watched 'hostal',eli roth's movie, twice..once all alone!! It rocked!!(in a hideous way)

Nirek said...

@arun
rocked alone with 'hostel' movie. you are a Bravo dude! lemme give this a try! :)

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha .... me never beleived they existed except for two occasions when i was scared stiff irrespective of the fact that i believed they did not exist.. :)) tanx for the topic :D 'll blog bot it ..
and if u dont think u can take 'evil dead' then u better not watch 'hostel' - esp/. alone .. itz evne creepier and sicker than the former ..

gP said...

im so damn tired...lifeless, helpless..

Nirek said...

@anu
Evil dead & Hostel
Def want to give it a try. May be I can see those movies now

@gp
yo bro. I know u will be happy to see a post about ur relatives (ghosts)!

Anonymous said...

lolz...scaring who :P ??