25 March, 2006

Dennis the Menace

Well, the title stand no way directly related to the content of this blog post. Is corporal punishment for kids by school teachers reasonable? what do Dennis-the-menace type naughty children learn from those punishment or do they really learn anything out of those pains?
 
Kids naturally tend to be naughty. It is proven fact the kid's intelligence is directly proportional to their mischief. Some school teachers chose to punish students to teach them how to behave. The necessity of those punishments are often discussed to arrive at consensus . Those discussion rose everytime when some breaking news of a kid getting badly hurt/attempted suicide because of those teacher's intimidation.
 
Big heart-burning discussions apart. Few lite stuff from my experiences. I was a silent mischief monger during my school time. I could recollect some instances where I had received bad thrashings from my masters. During my second standard, the science master was dare devil to all of our eyes. He used to tie two wooden rulers together to beat students. you-know-what, he beat students on hand knucles. I got his thrashing for scoring less marks in some stupid exam. Another master (one more science guy) used to bend index fingers backwards to max extent till we cry to him to leave. These guys would have spend a long time thinking on ways to punish students, I believe. I dont even remember the reasons why he used to do that to us. Even madams prove no good to those bad masters. My physical training madam made me kneel down in ground because I was playing with new pen during her talk to the class. Other than those pains, I really wonder did those incidents taught me anything useful. Even if those teachers wished to teach me discipline, a kind hearted approach would have won more applauds and my love. Now I remember those masters as devils rather than a friendly teacher. So high school masters, think a lot before you want to punish a kid for silly thing. Those corporal punishments are truly waste of your effort. You could think a lot to get those kid's love by innovative teaching.
 
popcorn: ohhh, I forgot to say an important thing. I want to start a school for rural kids later. Corporal punishments will be STRICTLY prohibited in my school. I will teach the faculty there on 'how to be a lovely angel to kids?'


Read more!

6 comments:

Nisha said...

I feel a child can be taught better with love. A child needs love and shouting or punishing the kid doesnt help much. It just makes them rebelious...!!

I hope ur wish comes true. It is a very kind gesture :)

Cheers!

Ponnarasi Kothandaraman said...

Wow. Tht was wonderful. And thought provoking too. Keep writing.

John Burkholder said...

They still have corporal punishment there? They have done away with it here (except for the private schools). To be honest though, some kids could use it. Those kids who think that the only emotion they recognize is anger (due to bad parenting) feel they can bully their way around the system since corporal punishment has been abolished.

Nirek said...

@icy. thanks buddy. punishing a kid should be banned from this world altogether. Jus becos kid cant slap back, parents are showing their bully power in the name of teaching discipline.

@pon.. thanks yaar. your blog is also great. i started voicing my opinions inspired by lot of good blogs like yours.

@john. corporal punishment in school are slowly coming down in India. but there is no legal ban on those activity.

gP said...

its a pity that teachers/ the administration had to resort to this kind of punishment for childrens. If they had a workable or intersting syllabus to teach, I believe the kids would study rather than create trouble. The problem is with the world, not the children.

Nirek said...

@gp. hope the smart curriculum for kids you are creating now in ur new office become a hit everywhere.