11 December, 2006

A Vagabond Strolls On - 5

We went with lot of expectations for this movie; but ended up with frustration. The movie has an appropriate sub-title 'the pain'; it is really painful to see such movies with so much pathos. My friend and I walked out in the half of the movie. It started out well, the first song 'veyilodu villayadi' gave a great start. The song kindled all old memories of my childhood. Though I haven't had such a colorful childhood, I could relate to lot of scenes in the song; showing movie in home with lens, mirror, old and waste films which we had picked up from old shops in market. There were not much science involved in that kiddies film projection, but we were so much enthused to show off to friends. Period. The film story revolves around the life of two brothers; the elder one's life running into chaos was shown in detail throughout the movie. Pasupathi indeed has a great role to perform.

We were in madurai yesterday to attend my friend's marriage. We had done with the function in the morning, we couldn't find better way to spend the afternoon other than seeing the movie. We had a lengthy debate on what to look for: whether good cinema theatre with good AC or some theatre which shows good movie. Madurai isn't that hot yesterday, but we ended up choosing good theatre. The cinema hall isn't that bad, but the above boring movie made us feel our decisions are always wrong. Moral: choose good movie pal if you want to have good time.

In last week, my office was still not out of layoff hangovers. No motivation to work hard. Me and my friends gang here were trying our best to engage us with some entertainment. We went to sequel of Dhoom. My requirement from a movie has come down these days; the movie has to be light and entertaining, good songs, no pathos, no sentiments and no need for complex logics. Dhoom fits perfectly in that requirement. The movie plot isn't that complex, predictable. Hrithik has a good role, he undoubtedly steals the limelight from Abhishek. I didn't go with much expectation for this movie. It scores well in entertainment factor. The best thing about this movie is: It attracts lot of crowds in INOX, bangalore. The reasons may be: PVR cinemas are not showing this movie, there may be lot of jobless people like us in Bangalore now to see movies even on weekday afternoon. Yeah I mean it, Dhoom was shown on two screens on INOX for afternoon show that day, both halls was full!

On another day, we went for bowling in 'The Megabowl' in airport road, bangalore. The place was perfect, they even serve drinks to attract more people. It wasn't crowded that much. We weren't great snow bowling players; still we managed to have fun. I even won one game, beating my other two friends in the last throw. I was in second place before the throw, lagging behind the first friend by 13 points. In the first shot, I got nine pins, that left with one pin in the middle. Luckily I got it bowled out in the second shot. Hurray!! that gave a spare throw, I scored 8 points in the spare throw, which marked my win. It was very much like our Indian cricket team entry to semifinals in the last matches; they would have had a bad tournament till then, but Indian cricket team always win those do-or-die matches. Booh!

The other movie 'The Guardian' was also great. The story is about the coast guards, a legend and his student. The love plot added to the main story line gives out a different tinge for the movie. I hadn't seen the previous movies of this hero before, dunno whether he acted earlier or not. The training school scenes are scintillating. We couldn't avoid relating those motivational training scenes to software industry. The softies here too need a kind of training we motivates them about their job. The actions in the sea are inspiring. But more efforts could have been put forth in those night action scenes in rough sea. The climax was very much predictable. These days Hollywood movies are becoming more and more lengthy; this movie is running for three hours.

Wow! I could able to write about all the movies I had seen in the last week. I am warning that these are not professional movie reviews, it is my personal view about these. May be spoilers too. Before ending I am inserting the video of Green Day's song - Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The lyrics are here.


Read more!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you have added some spice to your blog. I welcome the changes. Very refreshing.

Nirek said...

@Ran
Thanks dude. Just now got beta blogger update for my blog! So...tinkering with template settings of beta blogger to get my ideal blog look! Blog is still evolving, so come back to see it in full form later!

Praveen R. said...

I read reviews saying that Veyil was an awesome movie. Since you now say otherwise, maybe i would reconsider watching this movie afterall.. I'll go watch Barnyard or sumthing..

Nirek said...

@praveen
Don't take my spoiler review :) My requirement for good film is much simple- it has to be entertaining. I dont like all those senti and touchy movies. Veyil unfortunately fell under the second category!

tulipspeaks said...

movie watching marathon pole?

thanks for the review of veyil and dhoom. not a fan of bharath, so it doesnt really affect me much i guess! :P


=ammu=

Nirek said...

@ammu

hi dear, vellai illama vettiya egapatta movie parthen, neenga thitivinga partha, ippadi paratiringa! :)

ya, its better to skip bad pathos movies likes this, as such we have enough things to worry about in our life. right?!!

Jeevan said...

Glad u had good time on weekends on movies, bowling with friend. Will be going to veyyil this weekend. I feel this movie will be different, by seeing some scenes and trails on TV.