07 August, 2006

Dump the trains!

My tête-à-tête with Indian Railways is always funny. Never am I lucky enough to get a reserved berth in sleeper class ;) This time too, I and my friend tried to book our sleeper class tickets two weeks in advance and still ended up in most coveted sitting and sleeping seat. Our seats went into RAC list in that dumb jam-packed train. Was tag-tailing the TTE for a whole one hour to find out that that not even one berth got cancelled in the last moment. We reached Bangalore today morning with red eyes and fully drained out. I am wondering how to work actively even with this tiredness. Earlier, I was lazily sleeping for the whole day in Chennai. That is my usual weekend schedule in my brother’s home there. After light breakfast, I doze off for 2 hours in morning. Wake up for heavy lunch and again doze off in afternoon. In midst of this tight schedule, try to find some time to play with my niece and keep her entertained.  It’s rather other way around, she keeps me occupied with some work for the day.

Traveling in reserved class in Andhra Pradesh is a unique experience. Even if you reserve you berths, people simply hop into your berth and demand their share. Earlier, during my one vacation, we boarded the train to Delhi. Slept happily in the night in our berths, woke up in morning in Andhra to find three monkeys sitting in the upper berth with us, one relaxing with legs over that special fans of Indian railways, another trying to build bridge between two upper berths and third analyzing what’s the red chain used for. Those are not real monkeys, just people who throng into reserved coupes too and take their comfortable seats. Trains are afterall common man’s chariot in this democratic country!

Coming back to the topic, I love bus travel rather than this dumb trains. See you all after gooooooooooooood sleep. Awwwwwhhhh!


Read more!

4 comments:

Nirek said...

reasons why i hate train is
1 - it is for family people, I am not so
2 - don't like to see my name in waiting list, even if i try to book tickets long time before.
may be IR infrastructure is big, but not at all frenly. personal touch only can retain the customers, here it is missing!

Anonymous said...

The title looked as if you gonna suggest to travel by flights!

Nirek said...

@ranjhith...
howz life there bro? yeah, air travel looks like viable option too

Anonymous said...

Life is good. Hyd is as pleasant as Blr. AirTravel, Ya its very much viable - in case u earn a little extra!